Monday, May 21, 2018

Inspiration is unreliable, at best. When it does show up, hopefully it finds you working. Doubtless I'm saying something that we've all heard before. As I've grown past the age of being considered a young creative prodigy, I've been surprised by a youthful liberty of thought. There's a certain obsession often seen in children. Demanding the same meal again and again. Watching the same movie several times a day (now with on-demand digital streaming they no longer have to suffer the eternal few minutes it took to rewind a VHS, but then they also lost that satisfying KACHUNK when the tape was ready to watch again).

And in their way, they become experts.

The biggest obstacle when attempting to write creatively before is that I didn't have a schedule. The second biggest obstacle was that I believed I was only good if I was original. I don't think that now.

Inspiration is unreliable, and when it comes it had best find you working. Someone else already said that. And now I'm saying it, the way I would say it, at a specific time in my life, to a specific group of people.

And managing schedule thing is easy enough. There's all kinds of tools for that.

KACHUNK

No comments:

Post a Comment